Friday, March 7, 2014

Why I Blog..

Recently someone asked me why I blog.


There are many reasons why someone would blog.

Sometimes people blog to instruct. They have something to share.  A skill.  A talent. Others want to know more about it or how to do whatever it is they do.

Others blog to draw attention to a website.  It's a good way to connect your site with visitors, and market  yourself.

I've read many blogs created because of a personal situation and a desire to share - a means to share the experience you are going through.  It's like an on line journal. Maybe you are sharing a life threatening disease or illness within your family circle.  It's a great means for sharing insight, requesting prayers and creating public awareness.

Some people actually blog to make money. Now there are sources for ads and buttons - if you choose self promotion.

I do it to have fun.  We were a military family always living far away from family.   I use to write long, newsy letters about the unbelievable things that happened despite my incredible planning abilities (I exaggerate).  I shared my impeccable flexibility for our every-changing chaotic life and photos.  Our first computer - a Commodore 64 - enabled me to speed along creating these letters and print them out on our efficient dot-matrix printer.

Thank goodness for modern advances.  My letters became emails and emails became my blog.  One stop updates since 2007.  Our family and friends can stop by and catch up with our family activities and see pictures - knowing first hand we are still alive and well.  Years of moving, separations and life's surprises lead to the belief in "Murphy's Law" - thus the blog name.

I don't have beauty tips to share.  I seldom share my cooking because I am horrible about following recipes. No one cares that I'm wearing yoga pants and a comfy sweatshirt (and my career clothes are scrubs). I've read plenty of blogs with these updates and they are fun. It's free speech after all.  If you don't want to read about it click  ahead to the next one and try something else. For me, it's just not my thing.

Working attire - minus the delightful scrub cap for sterile areas. 

I like to share our road trips and photos, and our family adventures.  I love sharing stories of our grands and extended family, (because our grands and greats are so darn cute).  Sometimes I vent a bit - hey I'm human.

Our adorable Grands. 
Occasionally I remember to share a DIY project.  A lot of my stories are created when I'm deep into other activities - those don't always get shared right away because at my age I have the attention span of a gnat and quickly forget.  With the Smart Phone app I'm able to write myself notes or create an outline.  There are usually a couple of blogs partially created, awaiting completion.

I blog because I love to share with family and friends.  We've always stayed in touch.  And since I've unplugged from many social media sources, I blog because I want to reach out to those who mean the most to me.

No comments: