Tuesday, August 6, 2013

DIY Fireplace

 When we moved into our home in 2002 we made several attempts to update the look of our small family room.  I'm embarrassed to tell you how many times the walls were painted and furniture moved in and out. It just wasn't working for us. We pulled up worn, ragged Berber carpet and replaced with laminate flooring. But the 'elephant in the room' was still the fireplace.

I finally convinced my husband what we needed to do - and then employed the brawn of our two sons to do the demolition.  We expected the 2x4's to be giving the shape but not as many as we discovered.

As the 2x4's were coming off we decided to also remove the raised hearth.  Once the tile was chipped off we discovered it was just a raised wood step.

We selected a neutral tile for around the fireplace opening, as well the new hearth space.

Dry wall had to be replaced around the space.  The room was painted...  again! 

Our final product -  A more traditional fireplace.  Now we have a cozy place to sit with our morning coffee or evening glass of wine. 

No comments: